From outside the UK
There are a number of considerations you will need to take into account when planning a trip to the UK for radionuclide therapy treatment. The WELLNET Unit will be able to help support you through this process.
Once your referring doctor has confirmed you have been approved for therapy treatment, a date for admission can be arranged. The WELLNET team will contact you and discuss all aspects of your admission.
Please be aware:
- Your current medication may need to be adjusted by your referring doctor to prepare your body for treatment.
- You may need to stay up to four weeks in the UK before returning. The time you are required to stay will be determined by the type of treatment you undergo, the distance you need to travel to return home and the results of your follow-up blood test.
- You will need to have regular blood tests for two months after your therapy treatment (every two weeks). The first set of blood tests will usually take place at The Wellington Hospital and will help determine if you are ready to fly home. Your follow-up appointment for blood tests will be scheduled with the team before you are discharged. Subsequent blood tests will be arranged via your referring doctor.
- Domestic arrangements (such as sleeping next to your partner) may need to be changed for up to three weeks after your treatment.
- Your referring doctor will be kept fully informed of your care throughout your treatment and will be advised of any tests or scans that will need to be set in place after your treatment.
Once an admission date has been arranged with the WELLNET team you can start planning your trip to the UK.
More information on: